Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Technology Narrative -- Keyboard Story

     Task: Technology Narrative
  • Write Technology Narrative in Word
  • Tell the story of your becoming a technology user
  • Tell key moments and why they matter
  • Post Technology Narrative and link to your Teacher Web Page

Keyboard Story


I grew up during the period that you would have to learn how to type first before starting using a computer. I honestly don't know whether this pedagogy comes from the fact that I went to an all girls school and that the curriculum might train us to be a future secretary. This means that I started learning how to touch type first before I was even allowed to learn how to use computer, which was not until I was in 8th grade. We also had to learn how to type in Thai first and then in English. For those of you who know Thai,  you will see that Thai keyboard is much different than English keyboard. 


 Learning how to touch type in Thai and English took about a year before I started learning word processing programs and Lotus. Remember, Lotus? 



This touch typing skill has become extremely handy later on in dealing with computer. My sister who is 12 years younger than me cannot touch type and it takes her a bit longer than me to complete homework assignments. 

Nevertheless, I ponder what it would be like for my child. I suspect that with the increasing development in speech recognition program, it might come the time where keyboard will be obsolete. At this point, I still enjoy scaring my coworkers when I type at lightening speed. I guess the sound of click-clacking of keyboard might be intimidating to some. 

To look at typing in another way, as others have addressed, I find myself more comfortable with typing than using a pen. It is hard to fathom this preference, since I only learned how to type afterwards. Studies have shown that using a pencil or a pen to write does help one's cognitive development. I remember how my students would complain endlessly when I ask them to write their essays by hands. I have seen stationery stores closed down. Perhaps, in a near future, pen will have to displayed in a museum next to that ancient artifact called keyboard. 

Photo Credit: UK Airport Services 


                                                                       Photo credit
 

5 comments:

  1. I learned to type using a program called Mavis Beacon. I don't think I'm nearly as fast a typer as you are, though! I hope the pen never becomes quite as antiquated as you suggest, but it is certainly possible. Also, I'm really enjoying the images you're using to illustrate your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, to me, I did not learn anything about computers and typing at schools. Even at university I just learned just few things. I kept struggling with typing. Even up to now I still feel that I have to improve my typing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures! I used to write everything on pen and paper, and now I find I just cannot compose that way. I still like handwritten notes to an email. They are much more personal. I hope the pen never becomes a museum relic for that reason. However, I wonder how nice it would be to just talk and have the computer type for me. I think there is something satisfying about physically moving my fingers and being able to see my ideas and edit them as I type.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the way you designed the post. Adding pictures is very useful technique to have one's idea delivered easily. I liked your argument about typing and I think that we have to keep a considerable focus on using handwriting when teaching young kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you mentioned about how audio recognition could make writing obsolete. As a writing teacher who uses audio feedback for his students, I've pondered this idea as well. I mean, aren't we just a step away from audio essays? In the near future, could composition classes become audio composition classes? It's funny, but this also seems like a revolution in in the purest sense. I mean that it reminds me of how orators in ancient Greece practiced orally persuasive techniques that eventually evolved into written practices; and now we're contemplating the idea of returning to a version of that earlier form of verbal persuasion...interesting.

    ReplyDelete